Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Extended Weekend Update

Our lovely Daria Morgandoffer with the extended weekend update on why bigger IS indeed, better... Assholes:


http://jezebel.com/356175/dear-women-dudes-are-repulsed-by-your-huge-hooves

This may not be the best thing to admit on the Internet, but hey, why not: I've been wearing adult-size shoes since kindergarten. There, I said it. My father has size 15s (a fact that always earned him respect in the business world when he briefly lived in Hong Kong…seriously), and his mother was apparently a size 12. There was clearly no hope that I'd be marching around on anything besides boats/snow shoes/insert another Bigfoot analogy here for my entire life. While I'm fairly sensitive about my big feet, my friends and family assure me that since I'm 5'9, they're not too big for my body. At least all the hormones they pump into our food has given me some fellow bigfoots to take comfort in (I'm talking to you, Paris Hilton, whose similar-sized feet are her one redeeming feature, in my opinion).

This study, which found that men find women with smaller feet – and more symmetrical facial features – more attractive, is just plain sad and superfluous. Are we not a society that praises models who are above 5'8 and somewhat alien-looking above all else? Imagine one of said models stomping down the runway during Fashion Week on size 5 feet because, according to the results of this study, that's what people will find most "attractive" (and attractiveness sells clothes). Said model would look absurd and like she was about to topple over. Your feet should be in proportion to your body, people. Remember the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts informs Richard Gere that our feet are the same size as our forearms (the distance from your wrist to your elbow)? Imagine a 5'10 woman with size 6 feet. You'd think her arms were freakishly short. I don't think men would find a woman with oddly short forearms more attractive because of her small feet. They'd be too focused on her weird arms. Of course, this fact would make them assholes for a whole other superficial reason. According to the study, I should be considering a move to Tanzania, where apparently the men appreciate proper body proportions…I wouldn't stand out there for other reasons or anything. A girl just can't win, assholes.

No comments: